Over the years, as the scale of the business has expanded, these organizations found that the PL/SQL based platform was not sufficient or lacked scalability to meet increasingly complex data demands.
Needs of modern data management
Additionally, PL/SQL (procedural language extension to Structured Query Language) is based on 3GL code, which is missing the advanced features of new-age data integration platforms. These include:
- Metadata Management
- Data Lineage
- Ease of development, validation, debugging
- Dealing with disparate source systems
Why most organizations do not consider migrating PL/SQL to a modern data integration platform?
- Analysis of PL/SQL is too complex
- Timeline is too long
- Resource intensive
- Tedious and error-prone
- Multiple ways to code similar functionality, which is largely programmer driven
- No structured methodology to implement PL/SQL script
- Goto labels, Exception handling, etc.